Sunday, January 7, 2007

Take a Stitch Tuesday: Herringbone


I've decided to join Sharon B's "Take a Stitch Tuesday" Challenge. I didn't think I could be part of this challenge because I already have so many commitments and goals for myself this year. But after I read Sharon's first entry, then Pamela Kellogg's, then peeked through the TAST Flickr group ... I couldn't resist. I want to be a part of this extraordinary learning experience, too!

There are no rules for how you display the stitches you try out. Some stitchers are making samplers. Some are making stitch books. Well, I decided to make bookmarks!

Actually, this is killing two birds with one stone. One of the commitments I've made is to stitch one bookmark per month for the Cross Stitching for Charity group. The bookmarks are collected and distributed to children in various hospitals around the country.

I used the inspiration of others to begin my bookmark. I got the idea to couch a piece of rick-rack from Lin Moon's entry.

I couched in a yellow floss, then I tied down the stitches with a light shade of green. Then I added some fan stitches from Pamela Kellogg's chart using a darker green. By this time, my bookmark started looking like a bug ... so I just went with that idea, since this bookmark is for a child.

I found a button with a funny nick in it that sort of looked like a mouth. Sewed that on. Gave my bug some antennae, then added French Knots for eyes.

I backed the bookmark with a green fabric that has leaves on it ... as if it's the bush where this bug lives.

Fun!

1 comment:

Pamela Kellogg said...

Wow! This bookmark looks so great! I'm so happy to know that you joined in on the TAST! Yes, it will be a great learning experience for everyone and I think we're all well on our way with a very fun project! Thanks for letting me know that you have a blog now!