Friday, March 2, 2007

Day 259: Trying a New Technique

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Inside the Car Wash.

I stopped by the automatic car wash to do a Dust Buster and get some of the winter ick off my car. While inside, the water jets were making some really interesting patterns on my windshield. So I grabbed my camera and started snapping shots.

This image is a combination of two of the shots. The first was the big door with the "Car Wash Doors Open For 24 Hours" as seen through a wet windshield. The sign is on a big opaque Plexiglas garage door, so it reads in reverse when you are sitting in the automat. The second shot was when the spray finished hitting the windshield really hard, and the water was streaming down.

I took the photos into my editing program. I took shot #2 and created a layer at 50% transparency. I then took shot #1 and layered it behind shot #2. So now it looks like you can still read the sign, but through a rippling layer of water. Then I colorized the photo just a bit, making it a little more purple.

I know very little about layers. This is the first photo that I've used layers on successfully. I'll have to get my daughter Julie to teach me more about them. She's done some lovely combo photos which you can see on her website.

No comments: