Sunday, March 4, 2007

Day 261: Heirloom Doily

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Grandma's Thread Crochet Doily

This is another of Grandma Bertie's creations. It's a fairly simple thread crochet doily that appears to be stitched from a heavy crochet cotton. It starts with a row of double crochet worked in the center circle. Then a row of single crochet. The rest of it is graduating lengths of chain stitch connected to the center of the row before it with a single crochet.

I suppose the pattern itself would be easy to replicate. But what makes this special is that it was created by the grandmother I never knew. This doily survived the 1987 house fire, too. But it came through the ordeal better than the embroidered napkin.

If you click on the image above, it will take you to a high resolution, detailed image of the doily rather than to my Creative Journey photo section.

No comments: