Sunday, April 1, 2007

Day 289: My Little Bud

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Bud of the Grass Widow

I walked through the woods in the nearby Kiwanis Park, and found some Grass Widows in bloom on the forest floor. This little bud was likely to open later in the day.

Thanks to my daughters, I learned the name of the flower today. In our local high school, the students are required to do a unit on local wild flowers in their sophomore year. It's a big project where the kids collect (or photograph) specimens of about 50 wild flowers and create a notebook with their scientific names, common names, where they can be found, what months you're likely to see them in bloom, etc.

Even Mom goes tramping around the countryside, looking for rare wildflowers. It's a big project, but one that stays with them for life. And it gives the kids a real appreciation for the beauty of north Idaho.

No comments: