Monday, May 14, 2007

Day 332: Bottom's Up!

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Underbelly

Here's another of my backyard tulip shots. Once again, I got down on my belly, then shot up to capture the underbelly of this yellow and red flower.

I took the photo in fairly bright daylight, so the color was somewhat washed out. In processing the photo, I intensified the color saturation of the flower. That caused the background to wash out. So then I had a new problem.

In my paint program, I lassoed the tulip, and took it out of the shot. Then I created a new background using a couple shades of green in a radial gradient. I chose green for the background because it is opposite red on the color wheel and the predominant color of the tulip is red. The green helps the red flower to "pop"off the background.

I made the green a bit hotter in the center and darker and duller at the edges. Then I pasted the tulip back on top of the new background. I'm quite pleased with the effect.

No comments: