Saturday, June 9, 2007

Day 358: May / December Relationships

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section,
May / December

Dale's out playing poker with his brothers tonight. Jodie's talking on IMs with her friends. So I took myself to the movies.

Well, I popped a big bowl of popcorn, plugged in the latest DVD from Netflix, turned the lights down low, and allowed myself some time with the willing suspension of disbelief.

Turned out to be just the right movie for my mood. The blurb reads:
"Lovely but lonely Mirabelle feels purposeless ... but her sad-sack days are soon enlivened by Ray, a rich suitor who showers her with sex and attention. Mirabelle soaks it all up but yearns for more commitment, which Ray can't give..."

I'd read Steve Martin's novella, on which this movie is based. So I wanted to see the film. I was not disappointed. I found the final sequence poignant:



As Ray Porter watches Mirabelle walk away, he feels a loss. "How is it possible," he thinks, "to miss a woman whom he kept at a distance, so that when she was gone, he would not miss her."

Only then does he realize how wanting part of her, and not all of her, had hurt them both, and how he cannot justify his actions, except that, well, it was life.


Indeed. The murky, dusty, gray areas of life.

I'm glad Mirabelle lived authentically. Content. Happy.

She's like me.

No comments: