Thursday, September 20, 2007

Charity Sewing: My First Quilt Top

For about the last eight years, I've worked with the St. George's Quilters each Wednesday. We make quilts in an assembly-line style.

I started out tying the quilt layers together.

For several years, I've done the cutting of the rectangles.

Starting yesterday, I began sewing. This is the first quilt top that I assembled for the Quilters.

Though I started it yesterday at the group, I was quite distracted. So I brought it home to finish it up. I had a very nice couple hours listening to The FLY Show on BlogTalkRadio (FlyLady's radio show) while I finished piecing the top.

The gals had me begin with a baby quilt, so it was small and do-able. This one has an Easter theme, with two different bunny prints and a pretty green solid seersucker. Some of the baby quilts go to the Food Bank. And each baby that is baptized at St. George's also receives a baby quilt.

The local Food Bank has asked us to create 85 quilts and have them ready by Thanksgiving, so we're doing what we can to fill their needs. That makes for pretty quick stitching and a whole lot of dedication for the [mostly] senior women who take on this task.

No comments: