Sunday, September 2, 2007

Day 429: Behind the Scenes

I added a new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Silverwood

Jodie's job is winding down. Now that school is about to start, she'll only be working weekends at Silverwood Theme Park. Then, as Fall winds into winter, the theme park will close.

That means I get to save a ton of gas and time. It takes about a half hour or 45 minutes to drive up to Silverwood, another half hour or 45 minutes on the way home, depending on truck traffic on the roads and the (long) freight train schedules. So I'm getting to know those back roads pretty well.

I'm also darn familiar with the employee parking lot now. It's a long narrow dirt road and the employees park in the grassy area off to the side. Right next to the parking area is this spur of railroad track where spare railroad cars are parked.

These are cars for people to sit in on the narrow gauge train ride. On the ride you get to witness a train robbery and some cowboys shootin' it up over stolen gold. It's silly and fun. A decent way to spend an Idaho afternoon with your family.

In the background of this shot is The Corkscrew, the smallest of three roller coasters in the park. I was familiar with this ride before Silverwood was ever opened. This is the very same Corkscrew that used to be at Knott's Berry Farm, a theme park in Buena Park, CA that I used to go to when I was growing up. I didn't much like riding it then. I'm still not much of a roller coaster gal.

I prefer the contents of my guts to stay put on theme park rides.
:)

No comments: