Monday, September 10, 2007

Day 437: Rediscovering Cycling

I added a new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section,
I [heart] My Peugeot

Oh, man!

What a day I've had today!

This was one of those rare and wonderful days when I awoke early, had plenty of energy, lots of focus, and a whole day to myself to do what I wanted to do. I started with the weekly home blessing. The house looks great. All the laundry is done. I got all my meals and snacks in. And I even started a new piece of stitchery. I ran some errands. Then did an anti-procrastination mission: put some air in my bike tires.

Now, this is SAD. My dear brother-in-law, Dennis, helped me get my bicycle out of mothballs early this summer. We got a new "fat ass" padded seat for it. New tires and tubes. New lights. And even a speedometer. We fixed the seat height. Got the breaks working just right. Fiddled with the handlebars. Had it all ready to go except that I needed to take it to a gas station to fill the tires up with air.

And so it sat. ALL summer. In the garage. Sheesh! That shows gratitude, eh?

Well, last night as I came in from my walk, I ran into my next door neighbor. As we chatted, he said he's been doing quite a bit of bike riding. To make a long story short, I got him to agree to take me out on a bike trail I've never tried. We go tomorrow morning.

That means ...... I NEED TO GET THE AIR IN MY TIRES!

So today I finally did it. I pumped the tires up enough to ride it to the gas station. I brought along my pretty new red air pressure gauge. And I got those babies full of air.

While I was out ... I decided to take a spin. I'd forgotten just how much I love my Peugeot! It has been far too long since I've used my faithful friend.

I rode on down to the next town down the road, Huetter, Idaho. Population about 63. (That may be a slight exaggeration). Huetter is about three miles east of Post Falls. There used to be a lumber mill there. That land has recently been annexed by the city of Coeur d'Alene and there are a bunch of (ugly) condos and houses going in right along the river.

But smart folks that they are, the developers did manage to eek out a bit of riverfront for a public beach. It's very small. Very pretty. And not too many people seem to know about it because it's usually also very empty.

The bike ride was beautiful. The day is one of those ideal autumn-in-the-air Idaho days. The sun is out. The air is warm. The water cool. There were ski boats and jet skis on the river. And these two sunbathing beauties on the beach.

Ahhhhh! Idaho!

I'm so thrilled that my Peugeot is really ready to ride. I hope that today's taste of the open road whets my appetite and keeps me peddling. I hope I don't overdo my ride tomorrow, or I'll be too sore to hop on my "fat-ass" bike seat again for a while.

But with this pristine Idaho fall weather, the feel of the road under my tires, a desire to expand my creative energies, and a determination to find new forms of exercise so I can keep losing weight, just maybe my trusty friend and I will spend more time together ... until the snow flies.

Anyone wanna ride with me?

No comments: