Sunday, November 4, 2007

Day 491: That Darn Cat!

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Cat Scratch Fever

Rolly (my daughter Julie's 12+ year old long-hair black cat) and I have a tolerate/hate relationship.

The cat has never liked me.

When he was a kitten, he fell off a desk and broke his hip. I was the one that rescued him. But I think he blames me for his pain.

Ever since he healed, he slinks around our home, hissing every chance he gets. Dale calls him the stealth cat because of the way he hides in the shadows.

But since Julie's been away at college, Rolly's come to accept me — a little. I think it's because when Jodie forgets, I'm the one that feeds him, gives him clean water, scoops out the litter box and gives him kitty treats. For those small kindnesses, Rolly now yowls at me and allows me to scratch his head before he eats. Every now and again, he'll deign to let me hold him.

That's what I was doing last night. Holding him. Brushing some of the mats out of his long fur. Talking sweetly to him.

Then he turned on a dime, jumped up, took a divot out of my face, and hissed curses at me once again as he strutted out of the room! Left a bloody mess.

This morning? No kitty treats for that monster.

Now we're back to hissing at each other.

1 comment:

sapphireroze said...

oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. Bad Rolly!
poor Mom. oh man.