Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Finishing Techniques: Clean Corners

A question was posed in the needlework finishing group that I lead about how to make nice clean corners on ornaments.

I figured it would be easier to show one process than try to just explain it in words. Click each image for a closer look.






Another way to make corners easier is to not have a 90 degree corner.

Instead, round off the corner so that it's more of a curve than an angle. I sometimes use a small coin or sewing machine bobbin to trace around so that all 4 corners come out with the same curve.


Then you can baste around the perimeter of the ornament and draw up the
fabric ... sort of like what you do when making a fabric yo-yo.

If you look on Step 7 of the directions for my Basic Padded Ornament,
you'll see what I mean. It's not a rectangular ornament that's shown, but
the ornament does have rounded corners on the bottom.


2 comments:

corina said...

Thank you, so useful!

Vicki said...

Wish I'd seen this sooner ! thanks so much... and for the basic padded ornament finish. I've used your instructions for this often.