Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday Secrets: Nov 11, 2007

PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard. I find it to be an amazing sociological experiment. Here are the secrets shared this week that resonated with me:

This one reminds me of my husband, Dale. He has a big brain and a big heart. He has great ideas. He believes he can make a difference. He'd love to work with others with vision.

When I went through the time of being separated and divorced from my alcoholic first husband, I was a single mom of two little girls who still wore diapers. Some people called me brave. I thought I was just hanging on by my fingernails. What other choice did I have? Give up? Where would we have gone? I didn't see myself as brave — just doin' what needed doin'. And scared shitless.

Today a well-meaning friend encouraged me to get off medication as soon as possible and allow my brain to heal itself. He didn't want me to be dependent on drugs. Would he tell a diabetic to stop taking insulin? Prayer, meditation, changing one's behavior ... all can help. But not if my brain isn't connecting synapses correctly. I believe God inspires those who make the medications as a way to help others. I'm glad I get the help I need. "Finding God" is not a magic trick that cures all ills.

No comments: