Saturday, January 19, 2008

Promises, promises

Yesterday I wrote of having the integrity to follow through on the promises I make to myself.

A flip side of that is to not hold others to that same standard. Just because I keep my promises, doesn't mean I can expect that other folks will always keep theirs.

This was really hard to learn when I went through a divorce many, many years ago. Divorce always hurts. So much betrayal. So many broken lives. But the part that was hardest for me to come to grips with was the fact that my former spouse did not keep his promises.

Sure, his broken promises to me hurt. But even more, he didn't keep his promises to his kids.

I held out hope that he would pull though some day. But then he died ... and I was left knowing those promises would never be fulfilled.

Eventually, I had to let go of that pain and resentment. I had to learn to let go of the promises now broken. To do that allows me a more peaceful life.

No comments: