Saturday, March 22, 2008

Rebirth


Tonight, all over the globe, the Catholic church celebrates the Holy Saturday Vigil. Men and women who have been studying and preparing for months, learning about the church, seeking God's will, following their hearts, will walk forward and profess their faith, walk through the waters of baptism, receive Holy Communion, be confirmed.

Then they will process forward in robes of white, each carrying a candle which was lit from the Easter candle.

All of these, signs of new life. Outward signs of inner changes.

My husband was a part of that rite five years before we met. So this is a re-birth-day for him.

I love the Holy Saturday rituals. For many years I was the music minister on the RCIA team. I helped teach those inquirers and seekers. I taught them the notes of prayer through song. I tried to give them another -- audible -- door to the sacred. A pathway in on the waves of music and voice.

Nine years ago, just one month after my oldest brother and my father died, I was given the great honor of being the cantor at the Holy Saturday Vigil Mass. I had the opportunity to sing the Exultet.

This is the night
that Jesus Christ
broke the chains of death
and rose triumphant from the grave

It was a highlight in my life.

I had been through one of the hardest months ever — much of it was like walking through dense fog. Little did I know that it was just the start of a three year period of grief, pain and growth.

Yet in that night, I drew hope.

In that night, I lit a bit of hope in the hearts of the congregation that heard me.

In that night, I had a glimpse of having an angel voice pouring forth from my own body.

No comments: