Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Self Reliance


Ah! Good ol' Emersonian Self Reliance!

I was introduced to Emerson when I was in college. My very favorite professor, Dr. M.K. Browning, was a huge fan. He wasn't much for organized religion. He used to tease me about my Catholicism and call me Sr. Mary Margaret. (He still does!) It's not that he doesn't have a respect for religions, they just didn't work for him.

But, boy, does he love Emerson. He'd get pretty animated when teaching that segment of our class.

The guy looks like Henry VIII, beard and all. Big man, big belly, big laugh. He is a serious guy that doesn't take himself too seriously. A growly ol' teddy bear of a man.

He ordained himself the high priest in The First Church of Emerson and made me his acolyte.

After many, many years without contact, I got in touch with him a while back when I visited my old college town. I was able to visit with him and his wife shortly before his wife died.

I was able to spend an afternoon with him again last Fall. He made me lunch and we ate it while listening to a recording of his wife's singing (OH! What a clear, beautiful soaring soprano voice!). After lunch he shelled walnuts and we had a very personal conversation about marriage. Then he read me a chapter from a book he is writing about his life with his wife. I got to learn about their marriage proposal, among other things. I cried, of course.

A very memorable afternoon.

:: grin ::
I'm still carrying a candle for him.


If you have a chance, go look up your favorite teacher and say hi!

No comments: