Wednesday, July 23, 2008

On My Desk - A Quilt All Laid Out

If it's Wednesday, it's time for another installment of On My Desk

This week's "desk" is a set of tables at Quilters.

I usually get to work with Susan. Because our group builds the quilts assembly-line style, different folks are proficient at different tasks. Susan and I are Jills-of-all-trades, so to speak. We do whatever job needs to be done. Lately, that means turning the quilts inside-in after they've been sewn and before they are tied. We also have been doing a bit of layout. That's our favorite job.

But Susan had to leave early today ... so I got to lay this quilt top out by myself.


This is one of our large-size quilts ... good for a double or queen size bed. To get the idea of size, each of the rectangles is 9" x 4". There are 25 rows across; 9 rows down.

We have a large stash of cut fabrics in a cabinet. So I pulled some piles that more-or-less worked together and laid this quilt out lickety-split ... in about a half hour. We call this pattern Around The World and start laying it out in the center, then build the rows out from there.

Here are close-up images of the fabrics I used:







All of the quilts assembled by St. George's Quilters are given to local folks in need.

No comments: