Saturday, July 26, 2008

Remember


Interesting.

My initial thought was ... Little Margaret.

Little Margaret had a "nickname" of Margaret Mary Mimi PeeWee Compact Codispoti. She doesn't exist any more. Only one living person ever calls me Mimi any more. Yet that's what most people called me before I got to kindergarten.

When Little Margaret was asked to describe herself in one word, it was "happy." Not so much now. I'm still often happy, but it is not my primary way of living in the world. "Introspective" maybe. "Pilgrim spirit" maybe ... though that's not one word. "Questioner." How about "Complex." Hmmmm. Not sure how my kids would describe me in a single word, either.

Little Margaret was not as fearful as I am.

Little Margaret didn't have so many hard life lessons to un-learn ... or give new perspective to.

I can remember Little Margaret ... but I don't have to mourn her. A good part of her still lives within this older version. Sometimes she sits beside me and allows me to comfort her. Sometimes she pops out and delights me.

1 comment:

Jeje Strobe said...

what do you mean, you don't know how your kids would describe you in one word? we've been doing it for years!

the FUN mom!