Sunday, July 20, 2008

Treasure Hunt


My first thought when answering this question was, "Memories."

After all, the memories I have, the stories that make up my past, are all my own, hidden inside my head.

But I had to reevaluate that notion almost as soon as the original thought formed. Though I do treasure many fine and uplifting memories, I have a lot of not-so-pleasant memories as well. When I examine them, instead of them resting in the past, the feelings those memories elicit come up to the surface and I get a negative physical reaction to them.

Something that negative ... I'm not sure I'd call those treasures. I actually do better when I don't dwell on such things.

So what is a positive hidden treasure in my life?

I actually think it's not all that hidden. It's my life now. It's all that I've built over 19+ years with my sweet husband. And I'm not talking about just the physical stuff ... the family, the home, the money in the bank. All that is good, of course! All of that is the treasure that is my life.

But it's more. Now is the treasure. Being 50. Having a life partner who I thoroughly enjoy. Having a voice and being heard. Having health. Having sweet friends. Having some causes to put my energy into. Coming into my own.

When I start to wobble, I try to remember to stop, look around, breathe. And realize one thing:
This is the good stuff!

No comments: