Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hand-written Letters


Oooo. The last time I received one of these was in September 2007. The mother of one of my sweet friends sent it to me. In the fall, my friend Becky sent me a hand-written letter from her post in Afghanistan. Oh. And I got a hand-written thank you note from a friend this spring because I helped her pack for her big move.

Hand-written letters are remembered now because of their rarity.

I still write cards and letters for others every now and then just because I like receiving a hand-written letters or notes. So much is said in the very formation of the letters, the pressure of ink on paper, the choice of pen used. Getting a hand-written letter is a bit like hearing voice inflection in a phone call, or watching body language in person. I like that sometimes my own writing looks tense, and other times it looks happy.

In particular, I try and hand-write all my thank you notes (though getting a typed one written and out to the mailbox is better than putting it off forever).

I'm funny, though. I'll often compose a note on the computer ... just for ease of getting the words out fast and ease of editing. Then, when I like what I've written, I'll hand-write the card using the typed piece as my template.
:)

If I really want to make an impression, I'll seal the letter in some of my hand-made paper or inside an embroidered card. Then add a rose sticker or sealing wax imprinted with a rose.

I'll never forget how great it felt -- especially when I was newly on my own in college -- to get a hand-written letter from a friend. My favorites were from my friend Mark because he has such elegant handwriting and beautiful prose. I've always been a sucker for men who have a way with words.

I'd take the letter from the mailbox and run my finger over the writing, clutch the envelope to my chest as I climbed the stairs, stand it on the table like a centerpiece while I did my homework. Then I'd carefully open the envelope and read the letter as a major treat once my homework was done ... like anticipating a delectable dessert after a rib-sticking dinner.

I'll be away from home this week, helping my friend across the country as she goes through a medical ordeal. Perhaps I'll have the presence of mind to send a hand-written letter to my daughters. (Don't hold your breath, girls, but know the idea is at least on my mind!)

Who can you surprise this week with a hand-written note?

No comments: