Monday, August 4, 2008

Know Thyself


One thing about being an artistic soul ... it's awfully difficult to express oneself if you don't know yourself. So whether it's through needlework or photography or singing or writing, I can only speak with my own voice when I know what that voice sounds like.

I may not be wise in the ways of the world. The darn world still scares me way too much. I feel like I misstep too often. But I have spent enough time within this obtuse, mixed up head of mine to know how it works. To know myself. To be wise about the ways of my own brain.

More and more, I trust my own judgments -- even if what I feel I need to do for myself does not make a lot of sense to those around me. They may even think it's folly. Yet I am starting to trust these judgments when I feel compelled by a sincere inner urge to follow my instinct.

I do seek to be wise and good. I seek to do good, too. I'll start with knowledge of myself.

No comments: