Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Music: A Favored Soundtrack

When I was in Connecticut, one of the ways my friend and I spent time as she recovered from her surgery was to watch films on DVD.

At one point, I suggested that she pick two of her favorite movies that I'd never seen to share with me. I picked two of my favorites to share with her.

Ladies in Lavender was one of my choices. It's a fairly recent find for me. The story is of two elderly sisters (played by Judi Dench and Maggie Smith) who share a home on the Cornish coast. After a terrible storm, they find a young man (played by Daniel Bruhl) washed up on the shore, barely alive. They nurse him back to health.

The young man is from Poland and speaks no English. As he learns to communicate, it is revealed that he loves the violin, and indeed, is a very gifted musician trying to escape the tyranny of his own country and make his way to the new world where he can express himself freely.

It's a lovely story of lost love. Transferred feelings. Desire for beauty. Desire for a fulfilled life.

The soundtrack is magnificent. The music is written by Nigel Hess. The violin performed by Joshua Bell.

Though not normally drawn specifically to violin music, this movie/CD really captured my heart. The music is sweet and haunting and pulls one's heartstrings. It's lovely the way a gull soaring over the ocean is lovely. The strains allow my imagination to wander and wonder that mere humans can create something so wrenching and powerful.

1 comment:

Kathryn in NZ said...

A movie I always remember for it's music is the French film "Un Coeur en Hiver".
I have a thing for Ravel's music I guess.
Apologies if I've spelt heart wrong in French :)