Friday, September 5, 2008

Career Moves


I kinda wonder what context Lewis used this statement in. After doing a bit of research, I finally learned that it's from Letters of C. S. Lewis
(1966). But not having the volume handy, I'm still scratching my head.

Though I like the quote, it takes me aback a bit.
[Like that alliteration?]

Not that I have a thing against homemakers! That's been my primary full-time occupation for most of my adult life. But the statement, on its own, begs some questions ...

Does he mean ... that the worker bees of the family go out into the world to earn a buck so that a home life can exist?

Does he mean ... that being a homemaker and family raiser is the most important of all jobs? Helping our children become the next generation of active, responsible, thinking adults?

Does he mean ... that the home is most important because that's where you're really yourself and that's where you really get to act as the person you really are? That the homemaker is the person who works to establish that place where you get to be yourself without societal pressures?
[This is my daughter Julie's question.]

Does he mean ... that being a homemaker is what all worker bees eventually aspire to in their retirement? And ... does that mean that I've simply retired early?
[The Social Security office seems to think so. They keep sending me notices of how few earnings I report annually.]

Or was Lewis talking once again about the theme of heaven as our true home ... and we're just working here to get there?

Which, I suppose, begs the next question.

Who is Heaven's homemaker? Who's the one up there in the Father's house preparing the many mansions? Did Martha get stuck with that job again?
[tongue firmly implanted in cheek]

Can you tell I got lost along the way when writing this post? Yeah. Thought so.

No comments: