Monday, September 8, 2008

Courage


This is what I'm attempting to do.

It was weird, you know, leaving a job that I liked well enough, to take two years specifically to focus on being creative. I mean, how do you explain that to people that ask, "What do you do, Margaret?"

It was especially hard to understand for folks that must work for a living, who have no fallback plan. Folks that are responsible for a family, sick relatives, a business, monthly bills and excessive debt. Having time to oneself to follow through on whatever creative juice comes to mind was too unrealistic to conceive.

Yet I got to do that. I had the chance due to the life choices my husband and I made together.

Even in being brave enough to take such a step, fears of the unknown were still present. Fears that I was wasting my time instead of using it productively. Fears of the negative judgment of others. Fears that I'd get to the end of the two years having learned nothing.

After a while, those fears just got in the way of doing what I intended to be doing. Then it was time to put the blinders on, ignore the nay-sayers, and forge ahead.

"Live Creatively" is now a mantra for my life.

No comments: