Friday, September 19, 2008

Enough Already!


Wow. Does any more need to be said?

My husband is a big fan of living in simplicity. For the longest time, I didn't understand what he meant by it. I mean, he started talking about living in simplicity before we ever were engaged or married.

At the time, neither of us had any money and lived in sparsely furnished apartments. Without much money, how else can you live. You make do with what you have. So I mistook his idea of simplicity. I thought it meant lack of material goods.

But as we married and added a child to our family, bought a home and gradually furnished it, I learned that simplicity does not necessarily mean starkness. It means having what you need. Having select things you just want. But not going overboard. It means living within your means, and then giving to others as generously as makes sense. It means giving things away that no longer have meaning or use to us, but may be useful to others.

It means being grateful for our jobs and our blessings, but not being ostentatious.

It means knowing what is enough and being content.

No comments: