Thursday, September 25, 2008

Keep On Keepin' On


Ten years ago my daughter Jodie and I walked to the school bus stop every morning so she could catch a ride to kindergarten. There I met another mom and daughter, Julie and Briana. Jodie and Briana were not in the same kindergarten class, so Julie and I didn't have much of a reason to get to know each other.

While at the bus stop, Julie and I began to talk. Somehow we got onto the subject of needlework. Julie told me that she had begun one of my all-time favorite pieces, the MarBek Nativity. She said she was just poking away at it as she could. I was in awe.

Well, over the years Jodie and Briana have bumped into each other in various classes. For a while, they were not on good terms. As they grew up, feelings changed. But because there was some emotional tension between the two girls, I knew that Julie was still in the area.

At the North Idaho Fair this summer, I got to take a lot of time in the needlework display. I marveled at the quilts, the crochet, the spinning and weaving, the embroidery. Lo and behold, one of the honorable mentions in the cross-stitch category was Julie's nativity, finally completed after 10 years! It was beautiful. I felt so proud of her for completing it.

Talk about perseverance!

No comments: