Sunday, October 5, 2008

Open Your Ears


Sometimes, the person talking doesn't really need a response. They just need someone to listen.

My best friend called me today ... from the emergency room. She had a problem for a few days that was only getting worse. When she called, she'd been waiting in the ER for a while. I think the waiting and sitting was helping her anxiety to heighten.

All she wanted was a listening ear. She wanted to know someone cares. She wanted to not feel alone and scared.

It seemed like a darn small thing I could do for her ... thousands of miles away on a cozy Sunday afternoon. I was freshly showered and feeling calm and content. My good friend was in an opposite state of mind, and in pain.

She just wanted someone to listen. To care about her. To hear her feelings. I'm glad I could give her that.

It seems so little.

But sometimes, it's all that's needed.


[ Go ... take time to listen to someone this week. Call your mom and let her vent. ]

No comments: