Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Talk to Yourself


One of the most beneficial things I learned how to do last year was to give my brain new food to chew on. With the help of this book, my computer's recording capabilities, and some concentrated time and effort considering what I wish the voices in my head were telling me, I've been able to recognize unhealthy thoughts and replace them with new messages.

What I did was write the new ideas and thoughts down. Then I recorded them digitally. Then I compiled them like a playlist. Then burned them to a CD and to my mp3 player.

The process takes time.

Plus, I had to get over the feeling that I was doing it *wrong* or that if anyone heard these things I'm telling myself, they'd think I was stupid or vain.

Then I had to make myself listen to the recording daily ... in the beginning, as often as three times a day.

As with any new skill, it takes persistence and patience to learn it. It has to become a habit, a routine. I had to replace old, unproductive habits and thoughts with new, healthy ones.

In a way, I suppose these daily phrases are just the same. I find them throughout the month, copy and paste them to a document (so read them twice in that process). In preparing them in advance, I pick from my list which I want to use, place them in a different document in alphabetical order, then turn them into an image (so read them again at least three times). Then I post one per day, reflect on it and write about it (so read it again at least twice).

So you dear blog friends get to read the quote once and, hopefully, snatch a bit of wisdom from it. But I've already drunk in the message at least seven times. It's a message to both me and others.

No comments: