Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Unbreakable Bond


These kinds of moments are indelibly marked in my life:
  • Catching the middle two swings in the kindergarten playground with SS
  • Being chased by RS through the hedge at the back of the elementary school playground
  • Having my tears soothed by LW when JS dumped me as her best friend
  • Laughing with BB over kelly green socks bought for the priest
  • Accepting my standing as "reject" with DB, and becoming our own clique' of two
  • Grasping the hand of LB in a London lift
  • Standing in the 100 section of the library with JT, talking about philosophy and belief
  • Accepting with awe the gift of a 12-string guitar from VM
  • Playing and exploring and breaking up and reuniting with TM
  • Midnight walks and coffee with TW and DC
  • Holding hands with MP while gazing at the night sky in the San Bernardino mountains
  • Looking into VB's eyes after our literature class, sensing her need for prayer and a friend
  • Feeling calm in the quiet presence of AB when I told her I was pregnant
  • Listening to GE's stories of divorce as he helped me find my way through my own
  • Working through marital troubles over lunches with BP
  • Creating new needlework chats with MA and finding excuses to work together
  • First kisses with DD
  • Sharing secrets of past loves and daughter's antics with SF
  • Admitting guilty pleasures and conflicting emotions to SN
I'm incredibly grateful for these friends that have shared a season of their life with me. I relish those who stay in touch. I send blessings to those who have fallen away as rose petals, drifting to earth in the night.

1 comment:

Carolyn NC said...

While our family may form the largest threads, friends also form the small, binding threads of the fabric lives. I can't imagine where I would be without them and how much they mean to me. Thanks for reminding me.