Friday, December 5, 2008

Matting Idea

I've been trolling through some of my older photographs this week, trying to get my files organized so I can back them up on my new external hard drive
(a birthday gift! Thanks, Dale!)

I ran across these two photos that I took at the county fair last August. The images are a little rough due to the glare of the glass. I don't think it will detract too much from the idea I want to share.

This cross-stitch piece had a most interesting idea for matting. From a distance, it looks pretty much like a regular double mat and frame, right?

But check out the close-up!
[ click images for greater detail ]

It looks like the design was stitched on a 14 count aida.

Then mats were cut from two other pieces of fabric!

The dark brown inner mat looked to me like a 32 count linen. The lighter brown outer mat appears to be a 25 or 28 count evenweave. The various thread counts and textures added to the visual interest.

I marveled that though the fabric mats were not finished in any way on the inner edge, the fabrics were not at all raveled. In considering how this was done, I'm wondering if the mat fabric was first attached to a fusible interfacing, then the oval shape cut out of it. The 'glue' on the back would keep the fabric from raveling and give the fabric mats some body.

There is a chance that the fabric mats were actually bonded to a piece of card stock with a spray adhesive or fusible web (a fusible web would be easier to work with). That way though it only looks like it's fabric, it's really cardboard covered in fabric. From what I remember, though, I don't recall seeing the edge of cardstock as I pressed my nose within a 1/4" of the display.

The gal working the needlework room at the fair claims this was professionally framed. Perhaps. But it sure looks like a technique that would be fun to try at home!

How about it? Do any of you stitchers know how this matting was actually accomplished? Have you had a pro do this for you? Have any of you tried it yourselves? I'd love to hear your ideas on how this was achieved so that we can attempt to replicate the technique.

4 comments:

Carolyn NC said...

This is really cool, Cameo - would love to know how they managed to keep it so perfectly round when matting. I imagine using a circular cutting tool for all would do it, but this is really interesting. Please post if you find out anything about it! :)

Unknown said...

That does look like a pretty neat way to matt the work. :)

Habibi said...

This is incredible..

Jenny Harned Tabrum said...

Actually, there are mats available that have a variety of textures like these - think wallpapers and bamboo, and yes, linen is a popular matting surface. Of course, its gonna cost more, but after all the time invested in the piece, it may seem quite reasonable ... and cheaper than trying to apply fabric to matboard and then cut it.