Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sunday Secrets: December 07, 2008

PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard. I find it to be an amazing sociological experiment. This morning, three secrets caught my attention.


I don't do this, but I appreciate the sentiment for two reasons:
  1. I LOVE wrapped gifts! I enjoy wrapping them. I smile looking at them. I revel in the anticipation of wondering what is inside gifts with MY name on the tag.
  2. I can buy something, then just look at it for a week or two [or longer!] before using it, happy in the knowledge that something pristine, new and all mine is waiting for me. I think this comes from being from such a huge family [11 kids] and having SO many hand-me-downs.


This pulls my heartstrings ... that it took so long to come to that realization ... that the dream of a happy, working marriage is over ... that anyone has to feel so lonely while living with others. I've been through divorce. It sucks. I came out so much happier on the other side. If you've tried ALL you can, done the incredibly hard work in counseling, negotiated to the nth degree to make a difficult marriage work and you're still desperately unhappy, it's worth the journey. But ... ouch.


Relieved, yes. But do I revel in it, definitely not. I wish I could be on good terms with them all. At the same time, it is good to live without the drama some of the extended family carries with them. Some relationships work far better from a distance.

No comments: