Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Take Good Care of Yourself


I had to take this phrase to heart today.

I watched something on TV yesterday that got under my skin. I ended up staying up way too late, not falling asleep until after 1:30am. Then I had oddball dreams ... something about seducing a priest ... something about not having privacy in a bathroom ... oddball stuff like that.

So ... little sleep, and what I had was fitful. I awoke knowing that I had an impossibly full day today. I was frantic before I even got dressed.

Enter my sweet husband by way of a phone call from work. He had a plan and laid it out for me. He made some excellent suggestions. He helped me write a simple To Do list, then made me promise to not add a bunch of stuff to it. He reminded me that it's the Christmas season ... things get busy ... pick and choose what the priorities are ... let some things go. (For example ... so what if I missed a Today's Phrase yesterday. Who's going to get amped about that?)

So I took a shower, got dressed, ate some 'brain food,' and concentrated on one task at a time, first things first, easiest things first so that I could have the high a few quick accomplishments can generate.

That man is smart. I do well to listen to him and follow his advice. That's what I ended up doing today. I was good to myself ... and the rest of the family benefited from a happier me.

What did I manage to do?
  1. Made labels for the cookie packets
  2. Wrote out a note card to go with tomorrow's Christmas gift exchange
  3. Swish and swiped the bathrooms
  4. A couple loads of laundry
  5. Welcomed my friend over to stuff cookie bags for tomorrow's party
  6. Made the pumpkin cheesecake for tomorrow's party
  7. Ate a healthy lunch
  8. FINISHED THE ELF STOCKING!
    [wasn't sure this was going to get done, and it turned out CUTE ... pictures soon!]
  9. Wrapped the gift for tomorrow's party
  10. Went to my daughter Jodie's band concert
  11. Went to dinner with my sweet husband, daughter Jodie and Jo's best friend
  12. Prepared the Quiche for Jodie's French class tomorrow morning
  13. Cleaned up dishes and rebooted laundry

Amazingly, I'm feeling OK. Not too worn out, even though only limping around on five hours of sleep. I managed to have a good attitude all day. Bonus!

A nap may have helped, but I think doing a good bit of stitching helped even more. There is something about the rhythm of stitching and the creative process that is extremely beneficial to me. I'm a much nicer person to be around if I've had time to stitch. It's my favorite way to be kind to myself.

And everyone around me benefits from that simple attitude adjustment!


[ Be sure to check out Calamity Kim's blog!]

2 comments:

Carolyn NC said...

So true, so true! Looks like you accomplished a great deal, too! Congrats on the finish.

Kathryn in NZ said...

Yay you!! and Dale too LOL