Thursday, January 29, 2009

Shinin' Through


I like the limelight. I like attention from a big group of people. Always have.

When I was a kid, as I blew out the candles on my cake, my wish for years was "a birthday party with a hundred people." I thought it would be great to be the center of a crowd like that, drinking in the adulation and having a big pile of presents that I wasn't required to share.

In my teen years and in college, I spent time on stage. I like singing or acting in front of people. I like the attention I get from displaying my talents.

Oh, face it. I just like attention. I thrive on compliments, honors and adulation.

I haven't acted on stage in years. And these days, most of my singing is around the house. Once I gave up leading music in church, my performance days were pretty much over.

But, I still like the limelight. Only now, I focus on a different kind of light.

On this spiritual quest of mine, I look to dust off the shade and muck that can cover me. I try to shed the hurts, disappointments, mistakes and grudges of the past. When I can do that, the glow I bask in doesn't have to come from a spotlight focused on me.

The light emanates from within me instead.

No comments: