Thursday, January 22, 2009

What's Your Priority?


Oh. My. Goodness.

This says so succinctly what my sweet husband and counselor have been trying to get through my thick skull for months.

They say it in other ways, that almost worked for me:
You're giving that other person
too much power over your life.

or
Just make little investments in people.
If the little investments pan out,
then make a little bit bigger investment.
or, one I thought up for myself ...
I put my energy into the people
that love me and want me.
These statements started getting me on the road to understanding that I have a habit of being distracted by a "shiny object," then turning my whole attention and energy toward that thing. The third gave me some conditions, some parameters. There are people that love me. There are people that want a piece of me. But I ought not pour my energy into folks unless both criteria are met.

But this. This is like the proverbial hammer hitting the nail right on the head. A true Ah-ha! moment for me. Great food for thought.

I need to thank Maureen for this quotation. She used it in her Facebook status today, and I lifted it. I did a search to see who the original author is, and couldn't find it.

No comments: