Friday, February 27, 2009

Stories


I suppose there is truth in this statement. Yet I also think we tell our stories to others in order to breathe life into each other.

I did that today. I told a friend a story she didn't know about me. A story that I'm not altogether proud of. A story that, so far, has a happy ending.

I told this story in a letter, so I don't yet know if it's been received, read, and received again. Or received, read, and rejected. I'm banking on the former.

I believe that by sharing my stories, even the unflattering ones, my friends will come to understand me and feel free to share troubles with me. Our stories help us feel connected to our past troubles that we've overcome. They help us feel connected to one another. They keep us from feeling alone. They can save us from despair.

I believe that sharing our stories gives each of us the chance to grow as compassionate people and the chance to strengthen the emotional ties that bind us together.

That's important to me.

No comments: