Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sunday Secrets: February 21, 2009

PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard. I find it to be an insightful sociological experiment. A couple secrets reminded me of some incidents in my life.

When I was in jr. high, the boys and girls shared a basketball court, each playing on half the court. I was not athletic. One morning I went chasing a ball that went out of bounds, tripped over my own feet, and landed on Jeff Blackburn's butt. I was ribbed about that move for the rest of the year. I never did get good at athletics, but being clumsy didn't stop me from achieving in other fields.


As a single mom, I worked at the county courthouse. On my way to the parking lot on a lunch break, I passed a couple who were fighting near their car. It sounded like something about their custody case. Many other employees just walked past. Having lived in a women's shelter just a few months earlier, I knew too well how that fight could escalate. I asked the woman if she needed help, then went back to my desk to call the police. By the time I got back outside, the abusive husband had gone. I hope she and her child were OK.

No comments: