Wednesday, February 4, 2009

'Tis A Gift


I like that old hymn ...
"'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free ..."

I'm having that kind of day today. It all started with a good night's sleep and time cuddling up with a loved one.

It moved on to interesting interaction on Facebook. Then off to a morning with the Quilters.

After Quilters? Lunch at the Olive Garden with one of the ol' gals. (My Christmas treat to her, finally realized). She then took me to her house to see her antiques and family heirlooms, her stitchery and her hand-hooked rugs. Showed me pictures of her kids, her grandkids, and herself as a kid. It was an excellent afternoon of conversation and sharing.

Home next, where I found a message on the answering machine from my best friend. We then had a nice conversation and made some plans for when she'll be in Idaho in a couple weeks.

Next pleasure? Stacks of clean folded laundry. The smell of dishes fresh out of the dishwasher. A tidy kitchen with a shiny sink.

On to the grocery store where I made small talk with an older gentleman in the produce section as we picked out some nice navel oranges. Later, I bought a treat for my sweet husband.

Groceries put away, another check in with Facebook, then off for a crisp one-mile walk before the day slipped into evening.

Dale got home in a very good mood. His monthly check-in with his supervisors went well. Jodie called to say she was invited to eat dinner with a friend. News was shared about what's next on the front of the financial markets. Plans are hatching for an upcoming four-day weekend, and then for Spring Break.

Kisses. Hugs. The aroma of homemade soup on the stove. Warm sourdough bread. Good conversation.

What could be better?

I like the simple pleasures of days like today.

Family
Friends
Food
Finessed jobs
Fresh air
Fine conversation

No comments: