Monday, March 2, 2009

Swimming Along

Louise is a friend of my from way back in elementary school days. We attended high school together too. Then lost track of each other. Recently, we bumped into each other again on Facebook, and have been enjoying getting reacquainted. It turns out we're both Flybabies now!

Not too long ago, this quotation was noted on Louise's status line. It tickled me, so I stole it to use here.

There certainly are days like this. Swimming upstream. Pushing against the current to make your way to the place where you can go get your job done. Fighting the elements. Working single-mindedly toward your goal.

Of course, as Louise's husband pointed out, once the salmon get there, they die.

So, we won't take the metaphor that far for ourselves, eh? I'd rather get there and feel a sense of accomplishment than get there and croak.

All of this is well and good, and indeed, some days one must put for that amount of energy and determination. But it's not how I'm approaching today. In fact, my own phrase today might be more like, "Some days are for flopping on the beach and soaking in the sun."

If only the weather here would cooperate. No. We still have fields of ice. And I'm tired of it.

So another former-high-school-now-Facebook-friend and I decided to declare our own holiday:

North American Homemaker's Day!

For those of us that earn no regular paycheck, yet still work all day caring for home and hearth and children and others in need, we declare that it's our turn to have a day to ourselves. We can do whatever we want ... or do nothing (my choice today) ... and do it guilt free.

I already convinced a friend in Mexico to join us. Any Canadians want to get in on this? We deserve this break!

Don't we?

No comments: