Saturday, April 18, 2009

Old Friends

I'm feeling a tiny bit sorry for myself tonight.

This afternoon, a small group of my classmates from high school got together for lunch in a southern California restaurant. I didn't get to join them -- except in spirit.

The event was planned through Facebook. As soon as the lunch was over, pictures were posted. It looked like so much fun. And I am happy to have the vicarious experience.

I simply yearn to have that face-to-face contact.

:: sigh ::

Mostly, though, I'm glad I have so many ways to connect with folks from my 'past life.' Not only do I have the consistent fun of Facebook, I also connected with another friend yesterday via e-mail. She's in military service and I found out she's being reassigned from the US eastern seaboard to a base in Great Britain. My best friend from college days and I keep in touch through phone calls.

Much better, I imagine, than pony express.

I suppose I'm feeling nostalgic, but pragmatic tonight. Because as much as I miss the streets and the friends of the town I grew up in, I remember that I did move away from there on purpose. I moved to Idaho to build this new life here, gather new friends and neighbors. I've no regrets about that decision.

It's the continuity I miss.

So I'll keep in touch the best I can with old friends and encourage others to do the same.

No comments: