Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Unshackle the Past

Another quotation on the same theme of releasing the past from old papa Emerson.

I like this part: "that shall explain and overlook the old."

Seems that one of my main questions was, "Why did that thing have to happen to ME?" and books like

When Bad Things Happen to Good People
only partially explained it.

Papa Emerson seems to say, "Go forward with gusto. Once you do, the new experiences will build on the past. Over time, the past will make sense."

That's an excellent notion, in my book.

What I'm finding is that my many life experiences, my many stories, help me to be empathetic to others. I tend to sense pain, and am not too afraid to ask the questions that other people avoid or gloss over. I can ask and listen, because my own experiences mirror theirs.

The lessons I've learned, I can pass on. Even if that passing on simply means asking the questions, and listening. Being present to another person's pain can help them not feel so alone. It can help them see that there is hope for a way through the tough time.

No comments: