Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday Secrets: June 21, 2009

PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard. I find it to be an insightful sociological experiment.

The first secret is from today's US site. This week's secrets are all about fathers. The second secret I posted is one from the archives that I've not shared before.

When I was growing up, it was really hard to love my father. He was one tough old bird with a lot of anger issues. I was mostly afraid of him. So I found father figures in other places ... the fathers of my friends, men I knew from church, and teachers. Not all of them knew I thought of them as the dad I wished I had.

After my mom died, my dad and I came to know each other on our own terms. I'll never forget the day he looked at me, and I knew he saw me for exactly the woman I had grown to become -- no longer his "baby girl." That day, I cried all the way from his home to mine. The prayer inside me had finally been answered. I'm glad I never gave up waiting.

No comments: