Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What's the Use of Hiding?

I read an article by Martha Beck not too long ago in which she advocated "giving up." Not so much giving up by not trying. But that when you do try, and you do fail, acknowledge that failure, give it up, and move on to the next thing -- as opposed to doing the same thing over and over and trying to make it work, beating your head against a wall.

I've been mulling that idea over for a time. My default is definitely one of a head beater. If I treated my best friends the way I treat myself, they wouldn't be my friends for long.

So ... give up! Recognize and admit the failures (I have no problem with that), and then move on (THAT'S the part I forget to do).

Martha said that people who know how to give up graciously tend to be happier and more content people. That's the direction I want to continue to flow into.

No comments: