Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday Secrets: August 16, 2009

PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard. I find it to be an insightful sociological experiment.

The first two postcards were posted on Frank's blog this morning. The third is one I saved in my archives, but never posted before on my blog.


This postcard is an "Easter Egg." There is more to the story, which is found in the name of the image. The rest of the story is: "Other times I think I'm just being punished." That's how I feel about my own mental struggles. But I have to add, "Still other times, I'm incredibly grateful that I'm getting better. I will find value in helping others manage their illness."


I may never again experience the good parts of the mental highs. But it is nice to know those feelings exist ... are shared by others ... that I'm not alone, damaged, abnormal.


The elation! It's great! The problem with sharing it with someone else is that they might not feel it the same way and could be a disappointing buzz kill. Some things need to be kept to oneself, just to protect them.

2 comments:

Carolyn NC said...

I have missed you! Either I've been gone or you have! Nice to see you posting. :)

CameoRoze (Margaret) said...

I've been gone ... from blogging, anyway. We refinished a bathroom and that's taken my mental energy. Hope to post more often. We'll see ...