Friday, January 1, 2010

Absorbing the Wonder of Words


If you asked my daughters what their parents expect them to achieve before they head out the door to their adult lives, they'd respond,

"You want us to be active, responsible, thinking people."

Dale and I have done a good job drilling that into their heads.

But if, instead, they came out with the sentiment above, we'd feel darn proud, too.

So today, to start out the new year on the right foot, I'll not watch endless hours of parades and football games, nor wile away my hours with Facebook fun. Instead, I'll give my imagination a treat that I've denied it for far too long.

I'll sit with a cozy afghan, a glass of diet orange soda ... and maybe some Christmas cookies ... and luxuriate in the words, ideas and visions of a good book.

Might as well set an example for my daughters and pick up a tome from our overflowing library.


(psssst! They are really the ones setting the example for me these days!)

1 comment:

Carolyn NC said...

Such true sentiments! Happy New Year, Cameo!