Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It's Not a Dragon


It's just a little lizard.

That's one of my favorite lines from the Disney movie Mulan.

Change can be something I want badly.
  • I want to change my sleep habits so that I'm ready to jump into my day.
  • I want to change my exercise habits so that my body feels happy.
  • I want to stop complaining so that I stop being tired of hearing that whining coming out of my mouth.
  • I want to find the courage to take day trips by myself.
  • I want to make peace from broken relationships.
Looking at those desires and realizing what it will take to make the change seems daunting. Perhaps because I've been looking at my cracks through a magnifying glass, the little seems big.

What? That's not a dragon? It's just a little lizard?
It's really not a big deal, even though it's significant?
Oh. It's a medium deal.

A magnifying lens can be helpful when seeking details. And I love details. But peering through such a lens constantly keeps me from seeing the bigger picture.

I suppose my first change is to step away from the glass, and look up.

No comments: