Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Wisdom of Harry Potter

I recently listened to the audio version of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for the umpteenth time. It seems I glean new insights from these magical books on each pass through them.

This bit of wisdom came from the mouth of Albus Dumbledore after Harry had helped Sirius Black and Buckbeak escape. Harry was bemoaning the fact that, even through these two were saved, Wormtail escaped and would soon be back in the service of the Dark Lord. Harry was not able to save the world from the evil to come.

Professor Dumbledore's response?


The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.
~ Albus Dumbledore


Gosh, does that ring true!

Life is such a journey! We move from our parent's home into the world where we think we have our own road mapped out. We take our tentative steps ... college, a job, a bit of volunteerism ... and think we're on a clear trajectory.

Then come the surprises and detours. Who knew a year of volunteering as a campus minister would lead to remaining in north Idaho for the rest of my adulthood? Marriage. Raising children. Caring for ailing parents. The responsibilities thrust upon me after their deaths. The interests I have developed since then. The love and constancy of my life partner.

Yet who is to say that a different set of actions when I was young would not have led me to this place? Other actions and decisions may have ended up teaching me the same lessons I needed to learn.

Indeed. Predicting the future is a very difficult business.

So I think I'll follow the path outlined for today.

3 comments:

Dutchbaby said...

Albus Dumbledore was a wise man indeed. I also loved Professor Minerva McGonagall. Rowling created so many rich characters.

CQMadhatter said...

I reread the books quite often. Lupin also adds quite a few nuggets as well.
CQMadhatter

Unknown said...


Harry potter a great name to every one. I like most to read harry potter and movie also enjoyable. Thanks J.K Rowling.