Monday, March 1, 2010

Gratitude: What's in a Note?

I may not get around to Macro Monday today, because my eldest daughter is visiting and I want to spend as much time with her as possible. Yet I'm posting now because a link to this video landed in my In Box last night, and I have a specific reason for sharing it.



At the beginning of this year, I decided that instead of writing up some hard-to-keep New Year's Resolutions, I would pick one activity each month and make it into a habit.

In January, it was "stop complaining." I was so tired of hearing the whine in my voice, that I wanted to make a significant change. That was a tough habit to start, but got easier as the month went on. Now, each time I do hear myself complaining, I catch myself quickly and find a way to turn the complaint into something else. Finding a way to turn it into an action that removes the reason I complained in the first place seems to be most effective.

In February, I added the habit of 15 min meditation each day. This one is also a little difficult. My mind is so busy, that I find it hard to settle down and simply be quiet. This is one habit where I had to force myself to honor this promise I made to myself. I think I missed only five days.

I do use the term 'meditation' very loosely. Most of the time I have a particular piece of music I listen to. I start out with some full-body stretches, then sit quietly on the couch with my eyes closed. I've gone up to 30 min this way. Other times I used guided imagery / self hypnosis. Still other times I use my walks or time on the elliptical as meditation. This morning I read an e-mail that I needed to ponder, so took my meditation time with a bowl of cereal and then just sat quietly thinking about my friend's situation and the response that might be most appropriate.

I also thought a lot about my husband and the changes we've made in our marriage in the last three years that have helped us grow closer than ever. Talk about a nice thing on which to spend some brain power!

For March, the habit I want to acquire is to write a note each day. Why? Because it makes my day when I receive a personal something in the mail, rather than simply the usual junk mail and bills. I figure a personal note might perk up a friend or two, too.

To that end, last month I decluttered a desk drawer. Now it holds only pretty notecards and stationery (I had a bunch tucked away in various places in my office). I gathered my nicest return address labels (and threw the ugly ones away!) I placed my favorite pen on top. I made sure to buy some postage stamps (so I don't have that excuse). I culled my sticker collection and kept some fun ones I can use on notes to people who are young at heart. I even found my sealing wax and rose stamp in case I want to send an elegant card to a friend.

I've decided that e-mail notes and letters are OK ... and I'll allow that to suffice if my time is short. However, most of the time I want to write a simple "Thinking of You" note or perhaps a "Thank You" card. I hope to write to a number of the folks on my Christmas card list -- these people are important in my life, yet I usually contact them but once a year.

That, of course, is how the video above fits into the habit I hope to hone this month.

So, Readers and Friends, I offer you a challenge. Can you go out of your way just ONCE this month to send a hand-written note to someone you love? It need not be long. It can be as simple as a greeting card with a signature, a two sentence thank you note, a "Having a good time, wish you were here" post card or even a long newsy letter. Don't think about it too hard; simply follow through on your good intention.

If you do write, let me know! You will inspire me to press on with my own writing habit.

* * * * *


Weekly Gratitude
For 52 weeks, count your blessings and document them once each week

1 comment:

Jay said...

I was looking through the spam folder for my blog today and found a comment from you. Sadly, I think I may have deleted it by mistake, but I'd already opened a tab with your blog in it, so here I am!

I love the idea of writing a note to someone every day. I doubt I'll achieve a daily note, but I'm going to aim for weekly, at least. I'm thinking this will just get easier. You know who I'm going to send to first? A woman who has been mean to me. I shall send her a simple 'thinking of you' card, and see if some fences can't be mended.

I also love the idea of doing something positive during lent rather than giving something up. I've done this myself. :)