Wednesday, May 12, 2010

April / May Newborn King Update

It's been almost two months since I posted my progress on The Newborn King. It seems I don't get around to this craft these days as I have in the past. Instead of stitching a little bit every day, I tend to take a couple weekend days each month and stitch for several hours at a stretch.

The image above shows the progress I made in March. In the last two months I concentrated on completing the portion of the chart that is done in half-cross stitch, which is primarily the angel and the background within the circle.

I'm now back to stitching the Madonna and Child. As you can see below, the child is almost done.


What I had hoped to finish next was the green circle with its leaves. That would give me the perimeter of the piece, plus it makes for fast stitching. Unfortunately, as I approached the top of the circle, I found I have a problem.

The ground fabric has a couple broken threads. These will not be covered by stitching, so the quick method of fixing the problem is not an option (putting a piece of interfacing on the back and stitching through both layers).


Instead, I'll need to remove the broken threads. The pull a couple threads from the side of my fabric and re-weave the spot where the holes are.

The goofy thing is, I know how this happened. I have a clip-on magnifier which I usually clip to the wood frame of my floor stand. But the goose neck didn't stretch far enough for me to see the portion of the fabric I was working on. So I removed the magnifier from the floor stand and clipped it onto my stretcher bar on top of my fabric. The clip wore the holes into my fabric.

:: sigh ::
Live and learn.

1 comment:

Carolyn NC said...

Looks great - hope you can fix the holes!