Sunday, June 20, 2010

Macro Monday - In the Lilac Bush

Macro Monday is easy to play,
snap a macro (or close-up) photo,
post it on your blog
then go to Lisa's Chaos
and sign Mr Linky.



Lilac & Fly



This is another of my photos from the walk around the neighborhood. The day this image was captured, the lilac bushes were fading. Most of the blossoms had begun to turn brown, the petals falling to the ground.

But I found this one bush that was planted in a lot of shade, so the blossoms bloomed later than its neighbors. The larger image had quite a number of brown spots, and then this one nice cluster of just-opened buds.

When I took the image into my paint program, I thought the dot on the bud with just another flaw, another brown spot. Imagine my surprise and delight to realize I'd *accidentally* captured a fly!

Now he's become the star of the shot.

What I really love about this image is how the variations in shade and texture make this image look like a watercolor painting. This is fast becoming one of my personal all-time favorite photographs.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

He's so tiny! I love the lilacs!

Hootin Anni said...

I see it...I see it. But the lilac is just gorgeous. They don't survive down this far south...I do wish they did tho!

My macro wildflower Do drop by if you can.

Have a great day today.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Lilacs are so pretty and what a great fly capture