Friday, June 4, 2010

RIP Catherine

The most beautiful, spunky, irreverent, compassionate, vital woman I've ever known has passed away. I'm sure her husband and two sons welcomed her with open arms ... as we released her from our embrace.

We met at St. George's Quilters when she was 80 something. She sat there with a big smile on her face and a bow in her hair, needle in hand. She didn't do much sewing. It hurt her hands too much. Her job was to sit and chat and entertain us and show us what it means to grow old gracefully, with a lot of love.

She showed us the wonder of tears in all circumstances. She showed us what it is to bring more love into your life, even as those you love most die. She lived just past her 95th birthday, last May 14 (same birthday as my mom).

Catherine, I want to be just like you when I grow up.
I think I have the spunky and irreverent part nailed down.
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

2 comments:

Jay said...

Oh, I am so sorry you lost her. She sounds wonderful. But ..

'Her job was to sit and chat and entertain us and show us what it means to grow old gracefully, with a lot of love.'

That is just wonderful, and can be so true of the elderly, who so often think they're no longer of any use at all. I'm so glad that you (and presumably the other quilters) could see that.

fredamans said...

Sending condolences and (((HUGS)))