Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The End of a Tradition

or ...
The Last First Day

For the last 17 years, we've had a tradition at our home. As the girls go off for their first day of school each fall, Mom stands out in the cold morning air in her socks (and sometimes bathrobe) with her camera to take a snapshot of the girls heading out the door and down the steps.

As you might well imagine, this tradition has drawn more than it's share of eye-rolls over the years (especially in middle school years).


Today is the first day of Jodie's senior year in high school. My youngest is nearing the end of her local educational career. So it looks like this will be the last "First Day of School" photo I get to take of my girls.

I e-mailed one of these photos to Jodie's sisters. They reminded me that this is not the end ...
I get to do it again when I have grandchildren ...
but that's not for at least another seven years.

:: whispering ::
Don't tell them, but when that time comes, it's THEIR turn to start annoying their own kids with family traditions.

I get to sit back, watch, and enjoy ...
complete with the proud mommy look on my face.

2 comments:

Jodie Davaz said...

I love you so much Mommy :')

Carolyn NC said...

I hear you completely - where does the time go? Sweet pictures. :)